Over the past week, I have been exposed and overwhelmed with multiple resources that have opened my eyes and made me aware of things I have previously been oblivious too. I find myself being incredibly thankful yet simultaneously completely disgusted with the American culture and lifestyle. After reading the case studies about tourism and women’s roles in the current economy, watching Miniature Earth and The Lost Boys in Sudan, along with discussing similar topics in my Sociology and Latin America classes, I feel undeserving, shameful, yet at the same time inspired to change my lifestyle and how I will pursue my life.
When discussing globalization, the economy is what first comes to mind. I think of the stock market, immigration, modernization, outsourcing, and just the overall “Westernization” of so many different cultures. However globalization covers much more than I realized. I never thought of tourism having such a big part in globalization, and I definitely wasn’t aware of women’s roles in the economy how their roles too, are becoming “globalized.”
The statistics from Miniature Earth definitely made me realize how fortunate and wealthy I really am. Living in such an inward and self-centered society, these statistics made me realize how many other people there really are. How unimportant I am. I was shocked that only 9 out of 100 are from North America. In my American culture, I consider myself to be middle-class, however when taking a step back and looking from a global perspective; I am so wealthy and blessed. Because I have a roof over my head, keep my food in the refrigerator, and clothes in my closet I am wealthier than 75% of the population I found it absolutely ridiculous that 6 people own 59% of the world’s wealth. These statistic really emphasizes how marginalized it is between the upper class elites and the poor people. Other statistics that really caught my attention were only 7 are educated at a secondary level and only 12 have a computer; three of these have internet connection. Wow! How privileged am I, and I don’t even take time to really appreciate these commodities. Another statistic I found to be very disturbing was that the village spent more than $1.12 trillion on military expenditures and only $100 billion on developmental aid. This again just shows where our priorities are, and where you would think they should be. We spend trillions of dollars on military, yet only a fraction of this amount is spent on development, which would be addressing these issues such as world hunger, poverty, access to education, healthcare, clean and safe food and water, etc. All these issues are so shocking and disturbing, and need so desperately to be addressed and improved. Why isn’t more money being funded towards these issues which concern humanitarian rights and improving living conditions, rather than objects—weapons, guns, and such?
When looking at the Modern World System and the underlying reasons for poverty, it is clear that not enough money, focus, time, and education are spent on improving living conditions and society’s corrupt systems that are continuing to marginalize the gap between the upper class elites and the poor. Modernization has forced cultures to evolve and move forward into a technological and capitalist society, leaving behind traditions, rituals, and what made their culture so unique. They are straying from their original culture in order to survive. It is either move forward and do their best to embrace these changes, or get left in the dust, isolated and become a statistic. One of the millions living in poverty. Disadvantages of the modern world system are more evident in developing countries, as described in Global Women in the New Economy. As the standards are going up in order to live a sustainable life, and as competition gets higher, and inevitably the world is globalized, it is becoming more difficult for people to survive. It is becoming more difficult for one to support oneself and their family, especially with the limited opportunities available in third world countries. In order to provide for their families, women from these third world countries are being forced to travel and migrate to developed countries such as the United States to take on jobs that aren’t available in their native countries. Although this seems to be showing great progress and improvement for women, their independence, and addressing inequalities from the past, there are very negative effects on their families and children, the absence of parental roles in their childhood, and the environments they are being brought up in.
This also became evident in Why Tourism Matters and how tourism, although often perceived as solely a recreational occasion, it is a major global force and is transforming cultures before our very eyes. There are many effects tourism has on the native region being visited that we don’t think of. We don’t think of how intrusive and overwhelming it could be for locals, as we sit on the beach in a bikini soaking up the sun. Many times natives become objects, being watched, photographed, and observed, then altering from their true cultural ways. As tourists continue to come, their culture will continue to transform. The majority of the profit made through tourism isn’t necessarily going to the local people; however it is again going to the upper elites, continuing to marginalize the gap. It seems that the elites own and run everything. They are the ones with the businesses, they are the ones outsourcing, they are the ones profiting from tourism, they are the ones in control of advertisement and media, they are the ones coming up with these laws and regulations, the list never ends. With money comes power. Without it, you are powerless. And with the current systems in place and the way society is run, it is becoming more difficult to become wealthy and the gap continues to grow. The rich become richer and the poor become poorer.
Overall, I think it is kind of ironic how so many people dream to some day come to America and live the “American Dream.” It is so interesting to just get an outsider’s opinion and outlook comparing their native culture with ours, and realizing how much we take for granted. Things like transportation, food and clean water, shelter, heat, a job, access to healthcare and education, and freedoms. Although I am very thankful for these many blessings, I hate that I take for granted these things and don’t fully appreciate what I have. Personally, I am disgusted with the American lifestyle. I believe our morals and values are skewed and corrupt, and we have become a selfish, self-centered culture focused on materialism and unimportant ideals. We aren’t focused on what matters most, or what I believe should matter most. Family, relationships, and being a servant of God and treating people of importance and like valued human beings. We value the U.S. Dollar more than we value a human life. To me this is disturbing and needs to be changed; however this is my own personal opinion, shaped by my own culture. If I were from a different culture I’m sure I would have a whole different understanding and way of looking at things.
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Excellent discussion- the statistics *are* hard to look at, and yet they really make one feel blessed to have so much, don't they? In the future, be sure to look at *both* C&C case studies, but you did a great job of expanding on the one on tourism.
ReplyDelete